Expedition Workshed provides free access to educational resources for civil engineering, materials, structural mechanics and design. We are unique because our content is developed by educational specialists working in close partnership with practicing engineers and industry partners.
We are hugely grateful to our supporters in industry and academia, who through sponsorship and donations in kind, have helped to make Expedition Workshed possible. Here we list all our supporters to date.
- Ove Arup Foundation
- Royal Academy of Engineering
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- The Building Centre
- Pidgeon Digital
- University of Bath
- Brunel Univerisity
- University of East Anglia
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Limerick
- Imperial College, London
- University of Portsmouth
- University of Strathclyde
- University of the West of England
- University of the West Indies
Who We Are
The award-winning engineering experience of Expedition and the educational expertise of Think Up gives us a unique approach to engineering education.
How We Work
We understand the needs of students, lecturers and teachers – and we match these needs with educational material that is strongly influenced by the real-world of engineering. We are passionate about providing high quality educational resources for aspiring engineers.
We create tools and resources that can be used by teachers and students, at both university and secondary level.
In supporting university teaching of civil and structural engineering, we provide tools that:
- Support the teaching of structural analysis
- Support the teaching of material behaviour
- Help develop a basic understanding of key engineering concepts and ideas
- Provide information about important engineers and engineering projects
- Help develop an awareness of what engineers do today
At secondary level, we support the teaching of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects and awareness of STEM careers. We do this by:
- Providing teaching resources that align with STEM
- Providing materials to support STEM ambassadors
Behind Workshed: Expedition Engineering
Expedition is an award winning structural and civil engineering practice based in London. Founded by Chris Wise and Seán Walsh in 1999, Expedition have been involved in a range of high profile projects including:
- The London Olympic Velodrome
- The InfinityBridge, Stockton-on-Tees
- The Emirates Air-Line Cable Car
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, Athens
- 55 Baker Street London
Expedition has twice won the IStructE‘s Supreme Award for Structural Engineering, for the London Velodrome in 2011 and for the Infinity Bridge in 2009. In 2012 Expedition was named Engineering Consultant of the Year at the Building Awards.
Behind Workshed: Think Up
Think Up are designers of hands-on high-impact education for learners at all levels from school to workplace development. Think Up clients include:
There are three themes to the work of Think Up: innovation in engineering education, inspiring career choices and skills for sustainable development.